Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey Day

Well, I didnt do so well in the picture category. I had the camara out, but since I had turkey issues I didnt get to take very many photos.
I got up at 930 on Thanksgiving, I had a 26 lb turkey that I needed to get in the oven. I had Dean brine it the night prior, so this was gonna be easy. All I need to do is follow all the easy instructions I got off the internet. Most sites said to cook for 15 min per pound. That seemed like way to much, so I had my mind set on 5 1/2 hours and I bought and used one of the turkey thermometers, the temp should be 170 and it was done so I came down every 30 minutes and basted it just as I was told. At 4 hours into the cooking time, I came down to baste and the needle says "170" ok well this is impossible. It is a 26 lb turkey (huge) how could this be right. So I moved the dumb thing around, and placed it everywhere I could in this turkey to see if maybe it was wrong. Well it wasnt, it read 170... so now what? I called my mother in law, who is a great cook. She also has family who is the busalacci ? think I spelled that wrong but they own 7 restaurants in downtown San Diego ( Gas Lamp and Little Italy) so she checked and called me back and said if it says 170 then done. So I shut the oven off, but left the turkey in the oven ( big mistake) while I was trying to hurry and start making all the sides. This short amount of time it took to make the sides, ruined my turkey. The turkey was soooo dry, this was horrible. My only saving thing was the "peruvian sauce" I made to go with the potatoes (this was deans only request) Well, this sauce is sooo yummy, and yes it hides the fact that the turkey was dry. So it saved the day. And fortunately for me, everyone at the dinner loves that sauce! so yay ... So since this wasnt the best morning, this is what made me not take so many pictures. Nikolas didnt have a nap, so he was in full force craziness, but he and all of us had a great time. Deans brother Erick came down with his girlfriend and they played with Nikolas all day. Nikolas had not seen Erick for a very long time, and he really really liked him alot. Deans Mom and stepdad also joined us, and that was it. So it was very nice and low key.
Anna, uncle Ericks girlfriend and of course Nikolas
Nikolas with uncle Erick


No comments: